6 of us!

6 of us!

2.25.2009

Parenting book

I'm reading another parenting book. I love the methods of "Love and Logic." This book echoes the same principles but it is from a different angle so it adds to my knowledge and skills or lack of skills.
The book is "Kids are Worth It," by Barbara Coloroso. It was a national best seller in Canada.
The basis is giving your kids the gift of inner discipline, learning how to own and solve your own problems, empowering your kids to be responsible adults that can stand on their own. I've been trying some problem solving techniques with Brynn. Last Sunday she came upstairs telling me that Joel was playing mean. She wanted to know what to do. I asked her how she felt and told her I knew she could find a nice way to work it out. She thought for a minute and then asked for some suggestions. I told her that if it were me I'd say to Joel "I like playing with boys who are nice." Then I'd find something else to do away from him for a few minutes and let him decide. She loved the idea and went and told him. He immediately started crying.
Yesterday they were playing in the snow together and she came in to tell me that he threw snow in her face. I told her it sounded like she had a problem and I knew she could resolve it and to let me know if she needed ideas. She turned to me and said "I know exactly what to do." She went out and told him she wanted to play with boys who were being nice, came inside and started doing something else. He cried again and was really sad that she wouldn't play. She felt so confident in her skills and it was so fun to watch. After a few minutes of cooling off time, they started coloring together and making pictures together and they played happily together the rest of the night. Kids are so smart and it's so fun to encourage them to use their brains!

4 comments:

The Anderson Family said...

Sounds like a good book, I'll have to read it! Its definitley the best when they can solve their own problems and quarrels, and its better to teach them now with simpler situations than wait until they are older. Thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

Ooh, we had a training for teachers on love and logic and I loved it!!! Good for you. We only got a small over view though, so now that I have kids I should get the book too.

Yo... said...

My word. Your family is, well... a lot bigger than it was last time I saw you! :) And so cute. I found your blog while surfing on Andy and Michelle's.
Heidi

Mineforever~! said...

Sounds like a book I should read. until I can get that book I think I'll try some of those ideas with my kids thanks!