6 of us!

6 of us!

8.01.2010

Final trek

Thursday was our difficult trek day. On Friday, we had pioneer games, reenactments, crafts and a hoedown. The band in the back was brought in. They were awesome. The music was great and we had lots of fun dancing. This was the macarena. My least favorite. We did an interesting version of the virginia reel. they didn't have a caller so we made do and tried to figure out what was going on.

This picture is of the Sweet water crossing reenactment. It was hard to pretend that the water was icy because it was 30 C outside but I think the kids had fun with it. We were glad to be camping by the river. most everyone got in the dirty river, at least once to cool off and play. We found a crayfish, which was kind of cool but it was trying to make it's way in my shorts and so I was ready to get out of the water.
We had devotionals with everyone, every night and that was fun and neat. Then the last morning was the testimony meeting. I'm so impressed with the youth. Everyone was happy and having a good time, got along really well, etc. I haven't been with the youth since I was one and it was really fun for me.
Stan and I pondered our experience and decided in order for it to be meaningful to us we needed to think of how the experience changed us for the better and what we are going to do to act on those feelings we had. A big one was for us to help our kids catch the spirit of Elijah while they are young. There is so much you can do with family history. I want to make it a regular part of our homeschool. I was reminded several times of the primary song that goes like this "you don't have to push a handcart, leave your family dear, or walk a thousand miles or more to be a pioneer. You do need to have great courage, faith to conquer fear, and work with a might for a cause that's right, to be a pioneer."
We haven't been asked to leave our homes and our possessions behind to travel to a far off place. But the Prophet asks us each conference to do something. We need to have courage to do what he has asked us to do.
It helped me to realize that I need to camp more with the kids. i don't really like to camp but kids love it and I need to buck up and help them make memories.
I also learned how well you can get to know people in such a short time, working and having fun together. I love those kids who were in my family and hope to keep in touch with them.
I appreciate little things that are so common for us who live in first world countries, running water, warm or cold, beds, shelter, vehicles with air conditioning, washing machines, etc.
My parents were awesome and watched the kids while we were gone. They've had them for a week. We went to church without them today. We missed them but it sure was nice to have a break and for Stan and I to have some time together. Back to reality on Tuesday, stronger and more determined to act with courage and faith.

1 comment:

The Anderson Family said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I would love to do something like that. PS I love that picture of you and the kiddos by the Mississippi River on the side of your blog. LOVE IT!