I visited my sister-in-law's ward where she taught the Sunday School lesson and she gave me this quote to read. I don't believe it was by accident. It was exactly what I needed:
Elder Richard G. Scott said: "You must be willing to forgo personal pleasure and self-interest for family-centered activity, and not turn over to church, school, or society the principal role of fostering a child's well-rounded development. It takes time, great effort, and significant personal sacrifice to 'train up a child in the way he should go.' But where can you find greater rewards for a job well done?" (in conference Report, Apr. 1993, 43)
Anyone can read this and find something that will help them to be a better parent. For me, it was to not give up as a home schooling parent. It is so hard to home school but I think it is more for me than the kids, even though they love it and are benefiting from it. The hardest part for me is remembering and discovering the kids different abilities, interests, and strengths. There is no one-size-fits school program here, which makes it hard, but in the end, I believe for us, it will be better.
1 comment:
You can do it Sh'Nell!! I am cheering for you! It must be incredibly tough to commit every day to "teach school" but you are the right woman for the job! Best of luck with everything! Love ya
Post a Comment