6 of us!

6 of us!

12.01.2010

Thanksgiving

After I moved to Canada I often wondered why Thanksgiving was celebrated in October instead of November, like I was used to. As I read about the pilgrims this year, I think I learned why. The pilgrims first landed in Massachussets at the end of November but didn't reach their settling point, Plymouth Rock, until December. It was too late for a feast that year. The Indians were kind enough to share their food so the pilgrims didn't starve and die. Although, many did die because of exposure and sickness. The first Thanksgiving was celebrated the following mid-October where they invited the Indians to feast with them, expressing their thanks for their help in teaching them how to plant and care for their crops. I was happy to learn that, and put my wonder to rest for that question.

2 comments:

Torrie Family said...

I love your family picture from Whit's wedding!

Lori said...

You are so darn cute! Good job looking for the answer. I got caught up on your posts and I love the wedding dress one, I know I'm not alone. Your family picture is beautiful and I admire you for homeschooling your kids. I couldn't do it at this point in my life. I saw your parents for a moment when I was in town for Lonny Jensen's funeral. Your parents still look the same after all these years! They're great!