6 of us!

6 of us!

3.11.2011

Crossing the border

Today I became Canadian, officially, sworn in, citizenship card in hand. It was an interesting experience. I have recently been thinking about my border crossing experiences. Each time, I have similar feelings. As I approach the U.S. I feel excitement and anticipation and sometimes wish I could just live in my "home," the country where I grew up. I feel like I'm home when I'm there. But each time I return to Canada, I feel relief and a sense of "home," for this is my home now. This last time I passed back into Canada, the border guard welcomed me back to Canada. It was comforting to me.
So today as I was listening to the welcome speech in the citizenship ceremony, then promising to obey the laws and be a good citizen, and finally singing "O, Canada," I had mixed emotions. I felt like I was finally making that next and more official step into the new life I've already been living for several years. Thankfully I don't have to give up my U.S. citizenship but I can now actively participate here where I live. And I am determined to be a better citizen and to try to know something of what is going on around me.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Wow! I didn't know you were doing that - congratulations! It took my mom 25 years of living here before she did that, good for you! If nothing else, it's important to be able to vote in the place you live.

Kara said...

Hey, I"m about to do this. I'll email you and ask questions.

Jolynne said...

So can we now call you a canuck? Good Job. We welcome you, and are so glad that you live so close!

Rebecca Henrie said...

I totally understand your feelings Sh'Nell!! Canada is lucky to have you ;)