6 of us!

6 of us!

12.08.2011

Good reads

I really like to read non-fiction books.  I recently read two that I'd like to recommend.  The first one is called Why Gender Matters, by Leonard Sax.  Those like myself, who believe that we are created by God and each given a divine role, as men or women, already know that gender does matter.  In this book, I felt that the author also believes this but he gives some scientific reasons how and why boys and girls are different.  This really helped me as a parent in the discipline and interaction with my boys and girls.  Great book.  I got it from the library.
The other book I read was called Miserly Moms, by Jonni McCoy.  She was a career woman who felt the need to be a stay-at-home mom and raise her own children.  She and her husband had the courage to do so and her book is all about making your dollars stretch.  She offered lots of great tips to make things cheap, from scratch is always cheaper and healthier, making double and freezing it for another meal, etc.  My favorite is buying homo milk (ie, the kind that has the most fat) and diluting it with water, thus getting two jugs of milk for the price of one.  I have done this and it is awesome.  It tastes somewhere in between 1% and 2%.  I love learning ways to spend less money on things that we have to have, food, clothing, and shelter, thus allowing us to have a little more fun with our money like: vacations, skiing, an occasional dinner out, etc.  We pay A LOT to taxes and living expenses and it feels like we never have enough left to do what we enjoy.  The principles and tips in this book motivate me to be more miserly so we can have fun!

4 comments:

The Fisher Family said...

OOOOh I like that milk tip, I might just have to use it! Thanks again for coming this weekend, it meant alot!

Michelle said...

That's a good milk tip. I've thought of doing it, but didn't know how much water to add. I'll have to try it. I'll mark both books on goodreads for me to get to later! :)

And on other notes, Spencer is a cutie! and I hope you had a good Christmas!

Janice Nadine said...

Hey Sh'nell and fam!!
I was just reading your blog and I noticed you mentioned Why Gender Matters. I cited that source for a research paper I did last year on gendering society and why we actually ARE different as male and female. Just interesing that you've read it too :) Tell everyone "hi" for me! I miss you and love you all!

Janice Nadine said...

Becasue I didn't make it clear...this is Janice!