6 of us!

6 of us!

2.15.2014

a call to family history

For a long time, I've been content and felt good about my methods of working on family history, ie. writing a blog, journals, indexing, and attending the temple. I've been doing well at all except indexing. The last several times I've tried to index, there hasn't been anything for me to do.  I was starting to feel a little bit bad.  Also, Brynn turns 12 in December and will get to go to the Temple for the first time.  We thought it would be really neat for her to have a family name to take with her.  I guess it got my mind on it.  I've always thought I couldn't do anything because so many in each of our families has been working for years on our family lines, researching, etc.  And I don't know where to start.  Well, the other night, I had a dream.  In the dream I had a conversation with someone about family history work.  They asked why I hadn't been involved in this way.  I told them it was because so many others were doing it and I was choosing to be involved in other ways, and I believed I wouldn't be able to find any names.  The person then said that there were names that only I would be able to find.  I was shocked!  I woke up excited and compelled to figure out how to research our family lines.  Help! Does anyone have any tips?

3 comments:

Kara said...

I have zero tips, but what an awesome dream! Maybe you have in your collection some lead that will direct you to a name.

from Lanette and Patrick said...

Hey, I love doing family history but have the same problem where so much has already been done. But my ability to search the internet and information is different then how my aunts and great aunts were able to search books and even the internet now. I have been able to find census records that they never could. So I truly believe there is info out there that only you can find.

Go slow. Check the first generation that has past away. Like if your grandparents have passed away make ire their work has been done and each of their kids' has been done. Then move who to the next generation by checking your great grandparents and each of their kids'. Go through census' and make sure all kids are accounted for. If there is a family history center near by you can ask them for tips of where to look. Even checking cemetery records can give you clues.

This is something that I love to do but because of time and kids it is something that gets set aside for awhile until I get back to it. Good luck in your search.

from Lanette and Patrick said...

(Sorry for the mistakes, my phone won't let me edit very well). Another thing is the only work I have been able to take so far is the work for those who have passed away since so much of the work had been done. There is work out there and angels are working from both sides. You will be led to info that needs to be found. Always start with a prayer. And stay close to the Spirit as you go through records.