6 of us!

6 of us!

5.12.2014

2nd Batch of notes

THE WORDS WE SPEAK
Jenet Erickson
Principles of a mother voice:
recognize the influence I have
build relationships
look for all the good and speak about it (with our kids and about them)
Teach choices and consequence
listen and discuss, turn them to the Lord for their answers
every interaction with the child can strengthen the relationship or weaken it
pray in the moment of crisis, sometimes with the children
Sister Hinckley encouraged "just save the relationship"
identify our own feelings to them ("I'm feeling frustrated, tired or mad")
If I feel judgemental and critical, it's not the time to discipline
pray with kids for repentance, help them to know how to do it, and apologize to those they have hurt or offended. 
Shame (withdrawing love and threatening them)  VS Guilt (expressing regret for their choice)
Trust your child to choose good
give them hope and courage to view the realities of their choices
We grown, learn, and practice together, that's what life is all about
We are totally dependent on the Savior for success
Seek to know how to love each child
If you resolve not to be angry and
criticize, ask the Lord to help.  He will help me to know how to do it!
Pause before you respond to a situation (the Lord can compensate for my tiredness, my irritability, my hormonal imbalances, and my grumpy days)
Jean Bingham
Read President Monson's talk from conference,               https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/04/love-the-essence-of-the-gospel?lang=eng
1. Does my tone communicate love?
would I treat adults or strangers the same as I speak to our children?
view children as visitors from another country-they come ready to listen and learn.  Mistakes are a part of learning.  Remember ages and stages with kids
keep a sense of humor
quiet and calm voice communicates love
try saying "I love everything about you"
Her father said to her "You are practically perfect in every important way"  ( I love that!!)
Praise them for what and who they are becoming
Think of those around us who are helping and encouraging us (balcony people)
3.  Do I listen with love?
4. Does my communication lift, strengthen, and encourage ones that I love?
5. Am I willing to make an effort to change to the mother I want to be and the mother the Savior knows I can be?
Real change comes from believing in the Atonement(grace), allowing yourself to change
and
increasing your personal sensitivity to the Holy Ghost
try reporting in your night time prayer, look for progress, pray to be able to see it.
THE MORAL FORCE THAT IS WITHIN YOU
Janie Penfield Rasmussen
Virginia H. Pearce
(This was toward the end of the first day and I was getting tired so I don't have as many notes but they said some great things.  I'm hoping some of the talks will be available againhttp://ce.byu.edu/cw/womensconference/ )
She talked about "A thin place" where the veil is cracked open and there is an influence from the other side.  She related her experience after her husband died 4 years ago and how sacred her home became to her, a thin place.
Nothing and No one can prevent us from having experiences with God.
We assimilate God's light.  We can carry His power!

She shared a story about someone else.  A mother was driving her children to school.  Her son was about to leave the car and said "well, it's time to leave the bubble and go out in the world".  His mother said "no, take it with you"  Be an influence for good everywhere you go!  Receive the light and carry it with you.  Help our kids to understand this. 

No comments: