6 of us!

6 of us!

5.25.2008

Dance

One of her favorite dance poses

Isn't she cute?

This post is coming from someone who grew up playing sports and thought dancing was for sissies!
So, my 5 year old is in ballet and had pictures taken last week at her class. I am so disgusted with the whole process. Here's my spill about this particular dance experience...
So, her costume is pretty low on top. Some of the moms were wondering if they measured wrong but since most of the girls are having the same problem, it must be the way the costume is supposed to be. Putting make-up on her was a little odd, even though I know it's part of the costume. I also never wore make-up until I was in high school and the most I ever wore was on my wedding day, so much so that Stan didn't hardly recognize me.
My next beef is that it is costing our family $70 to attend her dance recital. I pay $40/mo for her tuition, paid $60 for the costume and now I have to spend a fortune to go see her dance for 2 minutes in a huge theatre, where they show other things such as Les Miserable and Phantom of the Opera. I don't think I'm keen on this dance studio. It's a little much for me. Please send comments. How do I deal with this? Brynn really likes ballet and would like to do more but there's got to be another way.
On the other hand. Brynn had the time of her life and was so cute as we slicked back her hair and put make-up on. She felt and acted like a princess. She floated around the house showing her dance moves and insisted on her dad taking several pictures.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, that's crazy! I have absolutely NO experience in the area, so I have no idea if it's normal to charge to go to dance recitals, but I think it's very weird to me!! In our ward here there are a couple of moms who teach dance for little girls, and it's pretty laid back but my friends tell me their girls love it. I actually saw an email about it today (which is why it's on my mind) and the girl said "if you want your little one to be a professional dancer THIS CLASS IS NOT FOR THEM". Haha. Anyways, maybe there's someone in your ward/stake who is or would be interested in doing something similar... Good luck! And she does look very cute! I can't believe she's 5 already...

(sorry for the long comment!)

The Anderson Family said...

Brynn looks so cute and pretty, and so grown up since the last time I saw her(maybe its just the make-up, I don't know). Anyway, Ben's sister Becky teaches ballet up at the Londonderry Chapel for free, and one class is Brynn's age. Izzy used to be in it, but she didn't like it, so we stopped going. But it is a really good class and Becky does an awesome job. They have a year end recital and all that. I don't know if you know her, but I'm pretty sure she'd let Brynn in. You should look into it, I can give you her number if you want.