6 of us!

6 of us!

6.28.2009

It's a boy...

...Although it turned out different than expected. On Friday afternoon, I went in for my routine ultrasound only to find out the baby did not have a heartbeat. We were shocked, as anyone would be. Shortly after, the shock was replaced with peace, knowing God's love for us and the reality of the Plan of Salvation. We are comforted by our Temple covenants and the promise and blessing of an eternal family, as long as we are faithful. The 24 hours that followed the ultrasound were filled with fear of the unknown, shock, sadness, joy, and gratitude. I was 21 weeks along, though they suspected the baby had been gone for quite some time. My body needed medicine to jump start labor so I could deliver the baby. After two trips to the hospital, the perfectly formed baby boy was delivered Saturday afternoon. We were amazed with the creation of life. We are unsure of the cause of death but he looked perfect. He weighed only 4 ounces and was 6 3/4 inches long. They guessed him to be about 16 or 17 weeks in size but they can't be sure. All went well with everything and I was able to come home last night. The hospital was excellent. The older nurse in the picture, Paula, reminded me of my mom and she was such a comfort to me. She saw me Friday night when I first went in and she was able to trade patients so she could be with me on Saturday. Corinna, the other nurse in the picture was also fantastic. I was well taken care of and the experience was better due to the wonderful people helping us. Heavenly Father was surely answering our prayers and giving us the comfort we needed. The nursing staff made little molds of his feet, footprints and gave us some other mementos and the hospital will take some pictures. I'm sure they will turn out better than ours. We are so grateful that death isn't the end and that we have been blessed with 3 healthy and beautiful children. There was a reason for this and we know our testimonies will be strengthened. Our faith in God and His eternal plan has already helped us and will continue to help us and we go through this trial together as a family. Please feel free to talk to me about it or ask questions. I really don't want this to be kept quiet. We believe this special little boy is a part of our family and we will have a chance to raise him someday. I think being open about everything will help me deal with the sadness that will definitely be a part of this healing process.

13 comments:

Kim said...

Oh Sh'nell!!! I'm so so sorry for you. You are amazingly strong. My heart is just broken for you, but you seem so at peace with everything. I'd love to see more pictures of him and his feet molds.
Also, what did you name him? Did you bury him or did the hospital take care of that? How are your other kids doing?
You said to ask questions!!

Yo... said...

I'm so sorry. It's never easy to know what to say without sounding trite. I'm glad to know that you are feeling some comfort.
Heidi

Kara said...

I really wish I was there to hold you and we could cry together. What just happened to your family is a great fear of mine-especially this last pregnancy, but I also take comfort in the Plan of Salvation and our temple covenants. Imagine this experience without that knowledge! I am totally bawling as I read through your blog again and write to you. I am so, so sorry. Thank you so much for having the courage to share this your friends. We love you! If you find out more info that you didn't know (cause, etc), I would love to hear about it.

Anne Marie said...

Oh, Sh'Nell, I'm so sorry to hear about your little boy. You are so strong for sharing your experience and testimony. You'll be in my prayers.

Torrie Family said...

Sh'Nell,
Thank you for sharing your faith! We love you all!

Kinsey said...

Hey cousins, I don't know what to say, but thank you for sharing. I cried when I read this - I can't imagine. You are such amazing people, and so strong. You are definitely in our prayers!

Rebecca Henrie said...

Dear Sh'Nell and Stan, I'm so sorry for the loss of this little boy. I too thank you for having the courage and openness to share this with everyone. I love you all so much. I wish there was something I could do to help. We'll keep you in our hearts and prayers. Did you name him? Love you, Beckie

Susan said...

Dear Stan and Sh'Nell,
So sorry to hear about the loss of your little boy. Does he have a name? We love you and will pray that you have the peace and comfort you need. You are an awesome family. Take care...
Aunt Susan

CGibb said...

Oh Sh'Nell... How heartbreaking. The pictures you posted are so tender. What a precious little boy. Thank you for being so willing to share your experience. I hope you and your family are coping well. You are in our prayers.

Lori said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I have always been afraid of that happening to me and can't imagine the loss you must feel. Did your Mom come up at all? You do need to post what you named him and how things were taken care of as we all seem to want to know. :)
Oh, and you are absolutely beautiful in the picture of you and Stan together!

em said...

Our hearts, prayers, and tears have been with you these last few days. We love you guys and share in your testimonies of the gospel, knowing Heavenly Father loves us and has a plan for each one of us. We love you.

Chari said...

Oh Sh'Nell, I can't tell you the huge range of emotions that I'm feeling for you right now! I know all too well about dealing with the loss of a baby you never really got to know...and the overwhelming love and comfort that the Spirit brings. Thank you for sharing with us, it makes us all stronger to hear your testimony!

I have to say, that I have my ultrasound in 2 days and what happened to you is my very worst fear.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, you are an amazing woman. If you ever want to talk, my email is chari_lodge@yahoo.com.

Bryan and Lindsay said...

Sh'Nell, that breaks my heart. Know that we are thinking of you and your beautiful family and we're praying for your solace. Some times things can't be explained just now, but we'll later know the reason for it all. We're here for you and love you all!