6 of us!
5.17.2011
Bits
On Easter Sunday Stan and I watched the sunrise from the beach next to our condo in Hawaii. As we watched the sky slowly brighten, I couldn't help but think of Elder Bednar's talk from this last conference. He talked about how revelation is often received in short and undiscernable bits of light that gradually stream into our lives. I loved this talk and I recognize that this is how I most often get revelation. As we have struggled and struggled with homeschool, mostly it's just been me, I've wondered and researched and prayed about what is best for our family. I would say that I'm pretty proactive in finding out different methods of doing homeschool. However, I was really stuck on something in particular because it felt right. The families that I talked to concurred that it was hard and that's just the way it is. They also mentioned how much their relationships have been strengthened with God and with their children as a result of all this struggle. This all sounds great, right? It does and that is why I stuck with it as long as I have. However, I finally realized, with lots of patient encouragement from Stan, that our family needed to do things a little differently. As I felt like I was banging my head against a wall and not receiving direction and answers to my prayers, a ray of light appeared. I realized that as I started listening to Stan and his perception of what I needed, the answers have started to come and it is so exciting! I was ready to give up homeschool altogether but didn't feel good about sending the kids back to school and they really don't want to go back. So, thanks to a wonderful husband and help from the Lord, we are finding a new path, one that will be right for our family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sh'Nell! I just barely realized - I'm so embarrassed. I got announcements to Ryan and fam and to David and fam (I think) and I completely forgot you guys! I think we have spares in the attic if you still want one... Even though we got married back in December...
Anyway. I liked this post. I'm really bad at revelation.
I'm also kind of interested in alternatives to public school. I don't think I'll have the energy or time to homeschool, frankly, and I've had a quick look at Montessori schools in the area because they sound like the closest thing to homeschooling I could see - but what is it you guys are doing? How are you managing it all? I don't see how I could do it all by myself, and Robert works outside the home, really long hours sometimes... Get in touch with me somehow if you can (if you respond to the comments, I think it'll get you to my email address and we could chat that way). Would love to chat with you, and hopefully we'll be up to Canada for a brief visit before the year is out, and maybe we can all meet up somehow.
Heidi
Seriously. Families are so individualized (revelation) yet also benefit from collective ideas (church doctrine.) All of it sounds so simple on paper, but doing it is such a leap of faith and letting go of will. It's HARD! Good job for recognizing it and what you're family needs.
Inspirational.
Post a Comment