6 of us!

6 of us!

5.07.2014

First batch

After typing a lot of my Women's conference notes, I discovered that I have a lot.  So, I decided to post them in batches so you don't get discouraged by too many words!
Notes from BYU Women's Conference 2014
Yay for an awesome break from the routine of life, a major spiritual boost, and lots of sunshine!
The theme of the conference was a scripture found in Psalms 84:11
"For the Lord God is a Sun and Shield: the Lord will give grace and glory: no good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly."
I think were 100 sessions during the 2 days.  I went prepared and expecting to receive some answers to prayer.  And did I ever!  God is merciful, patient, loving, and kind. 
Many of the sessions were running concurrently and sometimes it was really hard to choose which class to attend. Here are the thoughts that stood out to me.  My hope is that some of what I share will help you too.
DAY 1
Sheri Dew-I've thought much about this wonderful lady who is single and 60.  What I admire most about her is her ability to do the Lord's will.  How different her life would be if she had married young and had a family but we probably wouldn't even know who she is.  She has blessed the lives of millions all over the world because of the life she has been called to lead.
She spoke in the opening session of the conference and spoke mainly of God's grace:
Learn to unlock the power of Jesus Christ
1.  What is grace? the power beyond anything earthly, she told a story about her Dad.  He was a wonderful man in so many ways but he had a vice, as we all do.  He struggled with anger.  His family was the brunt of much of it and she often had a hard time having a healthy and happy relationship with him.  As he was dying, she prayed to be able to forgive him for all the hurt and pain he had caused her.  In an instant she felt freed of all the pain she experienced from her Dad.  This is grace.
(my thoughts: Everyone has a flaw, often a big and noticeable one, we are human! But everyone also has wonderful virtues)
Substitute the word grace for power while reading your scriptures and notice what happens.
Grace is the power we get to do things we wouldn't normally be able to do.  (All my accomplishments in life are attributed to grace.  I'm so grateful for this power, without it, I would be nothing.)
Grace is always available to us! It is divine, enabling power
2. What difference can grace make in our lives?
Faith unlocks divine power
*With God's help, I can become my true self, increase my energy, my efficiency, my happiness
3.  How is grace available to us?
receiving angels- I know there are angels all around is.  My last neighbor helped me to realize this more readily.  She is very sensitive to the spirits of others. This part of it is for me to remember that others, probably ancestors of mine, are cheering for me and helping me to make good choices.
Because I have been to the Temple and have received my Endowment(a gift of priesthood power), I have access to that priesthood power.  It is not necessary to be a priesthood holder to still receive all the blessings the priesthood offers!
4.  What must I do to gain access to the Savior's power?
God's tutelage is the highest learning we can receive/experience(can't think of the right word)
Who am I becoming, with God's help, after all I can do...
a changed heart is what we all need, over and over again
Love the Lord more than ANYTHING else
change of heart (no desire to do wrong)
becoming a true disciple-Following Jesus means doing what He does, acting how He acts
Being a disciple is not easy but it's easier than NOT being one. 
ASK, in prayer, for more faith, more help
Then she asks WHAT ONE THING CAN I (EACH OF US) GIVE UP TO PUT THE SAVIOR FIRST IN MY LIFE, STARTING TODAY? (by the end of the day, I was sure that this one thing is what I need to give up.  I choose to give up my will to God, specifically in regards to my family size.  I have to put my complete faith and trust in Him, knowing and believing that His plan for me is the best plan. I want His plan to be my plan)
Then she finishes her talk with this:
We are preparing the world for the Savior to come again!
We must help others around us with their conversion
Angels are all around helping, desiring to help.
(As I sat in the Idaho Falls Temple the other day, in preparation for the conference, I felt the presence of my Grandma Mason.  She attended that temple faithfully and regularly through her life.  I couldn't help but be grateful for a wonderful woman to look up to, knowing that she is one of the angels who is helping me.  My parents were married in that same temple and I'm so grateful they chose to start their life together there and that after 56 years are still committed to the covenants they made! It has blessed all in our family and will bless all those who come after me.

HOLDING OURSELVES IN READINESS TO ACT ON THE LORD'S TIMING
Ginny Smith
Are you waiting for an answer to a specific prayer? How long have you been waiting?
There is a space between the offered prayer and the answer and this presenter called it "sacred space"
She encourages to "consecrate the wait"
Think about other waiting times, the sacrament, sessions at the Temple
If we choose to "consecrate the wait":
- we will be available to help God, to actively answer someone else's prayer
Life can be experiential, rather than chronological
Many people are waiting on us, as we wait on the Lord for our own answers to prayer
(I need to remember to pray specifically to receive guidance to help others)

BEWARE of Satan while we wait.  He wants to discourage us and cause us to lose hope.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Sh'nelle I am so happy that you are taking the time to post these notes. I feel very uplifted after reading them.