6 of us!

6 of us!

11.25.2013

I spoke in Church yesterday, this is my talk

Wilt Thou Be Made Whole- Talk 2013
Introduce our family....
·         Names and ages of children
·         Met at BYU and moved to Canada after graduating
·         Lived in the Edmonton area for the past 10 years
The talk I'm speaking about today was given by Elder Timothy Dyches(Dikes) of the 70 in October General Conference.
He begins with a story from the Bible about a man who has been stricken with his infirmity for 38 years.  He hides in the shadows near the pool at Bethesda, helpless to get himself into it, so he can be healed. The Savior finds the man and asks "Wilt Thou be made whole?" The man explains that he has no one to help him into the troubled water, so that he might be healed.  Jesus replies in John 5: 8-9 "Rise, Take up thy bed, and walk. And immediately the man was made whole, and took up his bed, and walked."
Elder Dyches shares another story from the Bible, about the 10 lepers.  He says, "Because of their infirmity, they 'stood afar off' .  They were outcasts--unclean and unwanted.  'Jesus, Master, have mercy on us,' they cried--in other words, importuning, 'Isn't there something You can do for us?' The Great Physician, full of compassion, still knew that faith must precede the miracle and therefore told them, 'Go, shew thyselves unto the priests...'  Can you imagine the overwhelming joy with each step as they witnessed in real time their bodies being cleansed, healed, and restored right before their eyes?"
Have you ever experienced this?
I have, but in a spiritual and emotional way.  A little over 4 years ago, the Holy Ghost let me know it was time to have another baby.  We had 3 children at the time, ages 6, 5, and 2.  We were planning to move into a larger home.  Stan was busy with church callings and full time work and was about to return to school to receive an MBA.  I was feeling content with life and very busy, and not ready to add another child to the mix.  But we followed the prompting and began a new spiritual journey for our family.  I was sicker than I had ever been in a pregnancy, but had the assurance that the Lord knew what He was doing and I just had to trust. We did move.  Our townhouse sold in just over a week, while we were away on vacation.  It was a huge blessing.  For anyone who has ever sold a property with small children, it can be a real challenge to keep it clean for showings.  We moved into a newer house, much bigger than the one we moved from.  We were in a new ward, and a new stake.  I was excited about the change, even though we thought we wouldn't have many friends.
The transition was going smoothly, I was feeling better physically and felt more connected to the little spirit that was developing inside me.  At church we discovered that we knew a handful of people and instantly felt at home.  I was able to make friends that I was comfortable with, within weeks. 
Then came the shocking news.  At my 20 week routine ultrasound, we learned that the baby didn't have a heart beat and the doctors assumed it had died weeks earlier, based on its size and maturation.  I was confused and sad, when everything seemed to be going well.  Within a day, I delivered a perfectly formed little boy complete with distinct facial features very similar to his living siblings .
I will share a brief journal entry that captures the feelings I had....
I've wondered over the past couple of days why I'm not suffering and mourning more than I am. I have almost felt guilty that I'm being insensitive or something. Then it hit me today, and Stan and I have also talked about this... Numerous people have been praying and fasting on our behalf. We went to the Temple on Friday and I realized while I was there that our names were on the prayer roll. The reality of that wonderful process set in as I felt the peace and love and faith of those faithful people attending the Temple. They were praying for US! Then today during testimony meeting, I realized more powerfully than ever, that the Savior's Atonement was exactly for that reason! He suffered so we don't have to and so he can feel what we feel. That burden has definitely been lifted from my shoulders. In fact I only carried it for a very short time....  I've received so much strength, peace, and comfort. It is all too amazing to me how the Lord works.
This event caused us to increase the sincerity of our prayers, and to study the scriptures and conference talks more intently.  As we exercised our faith, our souls 'were healed right before our eyes,  just as Elder Dykes shared.

The Lord continued to bless us in so many ways following this trial, some of which include:
·         my spiritual senses felt tuned, I was and still am able to recognize better when the Spirit is speaking to me.
·         our marriage was strengthened and keeps getting better and better.
·         we began cherishing every moment together with our children. This one event drastically changed my outlook on life as a mother.  Never before had I been able to see and appreciate the special spirits that were sent to my home..
·         new gratitude for our amazing network of family and friends near to us and far away
·         my love and appreciation for the Book of Mormon increased
·         I had a greater desire to be close to the Spirit to receive comfort and direction for my daily life
·         I could more easily recognize my blessings
·         I felt God's love for me more and have a greater appreciation for His timing of trials and experiences in my life
I know that I was miraculously healed, spiritually and emotionally, through the savior's love and the power of the Atonement!
Elder Dyches continues: "Do you remember when your faith and joy were full to the brim? Remember the moment you found your testimony or when God confirmed to you that you were His son or daughter and that He loved you very much--and you felt whole?  If that time seems lost, it can be found again."
How can we experience that joy?  How can we be made whole?
The scriptures are full of invitations and examples.  A few of them are:
From Matthew 11 "Come unto me-take my yoke upon you,"  Matthew 11:28-30
From Luke 18 "Come follow me"-Luke 18:22
From  Doctrine and Covenants section 88"Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you" -D&C 88:63
One example from the Book of Mormon is found In Alma chapter 5.  Alma the Younger is speaking to the people about the captivity and bondage of their fathers and then their deliverance. 
In verses 7-9 it says: "Behold, he changed their hearts; yea, he awakened them out of a deep sleep, and they awoke unto God.  Behold, they were in the midst of darkness; nevertheless, their souls were illuminated by the light of the everlasting word; yea, they were encircled about by the bands of death, and the chains of hell, and an everlasting destruction did await them.  8. And now I ask of you, my brethren, were they destroyed? behold, I say unto you, nay, they were not.  9. And again I ask, were the bands of death broken, and the chains of hell which encircled them about, were they loosed?  I say unto you, Yea, they were loosed, and their souls did expand, and they did  sing redeeming love.  And I say unto you that they are saved."
In verse 12, it reminds us again that it is "according to (our) faith, that" a mighty change can happen in our hearts.
Elder Dyches states :As we draw near unto Him, we realize that mortality is meant to be difficult and that opposition in all things is not a flaw in the plan of salvation. Opposition, rather, is the indispensable element of mortality and strengthens our will and refines our choices.  The vicissitudes of life help us fashion an eternal relationship with God--and engrave His image upon our countenance as we yield our hearts to Him."
I experience this opposition in my life frequently.  In our family life, there can be a lot of conflict as we strive to raise our children to be faithful, obedient, and kind.  I often become frustrated that my children aren't listening, learning, or doing what they are asked to do.  With reminders from those in my life who love me and from the Holy Ghost who teaches me, I can become strengthened and grow closer to my Heavenly Father.  I can forgive my children and family for being mortal, for making mistakes.  I can forgive myself for losing patience and expecting  unrealistic behaviors from my family.  All this is made possible when I choose to accept the Savior's Atonement, when I have faith to be healed.  I know that healing can come daily, as we repent and ask for the help we need to accomplish tasks that are too hard for us to do alone. 
Elder Dyches shared a powerful example of forgiveness in his talk. 
Corrie Ten Boom was in a concentration camp during World War II and was the only survivor in her family.   After the war, she spent the majority of her life, sharing healing and forgiveness.  During one such time, a man approached her whom she recognized as a guard from the concentration camp in which she was imprisoned(word).  He was grateful and happy to hear that he too could be forgiven of his sins.  He approached her and asked for her forgiveness.  She remembered the suffering this guard had caused her and prayed for strength to forgive this man.  And now I quote from his talk, her words:
“His hand was thrust out to shake mine,” Corrie recalled. “And I, who had preached so often … the need to forgive, kept my hand at my side.
“Even as the angry, vengeful thoughts boiled through me, I saw the sin of them. … Lord Jesus, I prayed, forgive me and help me to forgive him.
“I tried to smile, [and] I struggled to raise my hand. I could not. I felt nothing, not the slightest spark of warmth or charity. And so again I breathed a silent prayer. Jesus, I cannot forgive him. Give me Your forgiveness.
“As I took his hand the most incredible thing happened. From my shoulder along my arm and through my hand a current seemed to pass from me to him, while into my heart sprang a love for this stranger that almost overwhelmed me.
"And so I discovered that it is not on our forgiveness any more than on our goodness that the world's healing hinges, but on His.  When He tells us to love our enemies, He gives, along with the command, the love itself."

Some of you may wonder, "how is this possible?" or I've done too many things wrong, or I make the same mistake over and over again.  I remind you of the question that the Savior asked the impotent man at the pool of Bethesda, "Wilt thou be made whole?"  There is no doubt in this question, of the Savior's ability or willingness to heal.  I testify that He can and does heal every man, women, and child who turns to Him, seeking to be made whole.  The choice to be whole is in our hands.  This is a question that each of us must ask ourselves.  Will you and I allow the Savior and His Atonement to heal us from our emotional, spiritual, and physical infirmities?
Testimony
I know Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ live and that they love me.  I know that keeping the covenants I've made bless me and my family.  I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that Joseph Smith translated it and that it brings me closer to the Savior when I read it.  In the name


1 comment:

Kara said...

Thank you for sharing. I remember that time of miscarriage. Bawling and sobbing for you. What a great many things you learned from that experience!