6 of us!

6 of us!

11.17.2013

Why is this normal? Maybe it isn't

I loathe fighting and arguing. It is the major thing as a parent I really struggle with. Kids had a break from school which meant they and I were home 3 days in a row. Disaster. Why can't it be fun? What is wrong with me that they have spent the last 3 days fighting?
I had parent teacher interviews on Friday morning and I was feeling so proud of them. Great behaviour, good academics, good friend shipping, fitting in to the new school, etc. then there are the same kids who act completely different at home...
 I guess that is the beginning of my payback for being an awful teenager. 
One more thing. I often ask my children in a loving way to do their chores or whatever. They only begin to listen after I raise my voice!  Have I trained them to be that way. As toddlers I expected them to listen the first time and they were pretty good. I'm not sure where it's gone wrong. I guess I need a good cry and be grateful that there are 5 school days this week!

2 comments:

Kara said...

We're in the same boat sometimes. Separate rooms work, definitely having them doing things all the time (whether it's time for craft, job or quiet time,...) This is where I see the most success and don't get too overwhelmed with them, especially on long weekends or really long work days (7or later.) I also am way more lax on movie watching. I find that when I yell things just get worse and worse. *DUH* But sometimes I just can't handle being better than I should, if that makes sense.

Heather said...

It sounds like you're being awfully hard on yourself. Your children fighting doesn't mean there's something wrong with you. Unless there's something wrong with every parent. I know I find that separating them into different rooms helps when I can't handle their fighting. And there is one particular child who can't seem to handle being in the same room as the others for more than five minutes without causing contention so keeping that child in particular busy helps. And my kids are the same, that they don't listen to something they don't want to hear until I raise my voice. Something that does work that I often forget is to not just ask nicely but to make physical contact when I am making a request. Something along the lines of holding their hands, bending down to their level and looking them straight in the eyes. A big hug before and after helps too. Hugs always help in any situation, lots and lots of hugs!