6 of us!

6 of us!

1.29.2014

Food issues

Kids complain about food sometimes, it's life. But I'm always worried about it. I like to be healthy. I like to eat very little or no packaged food, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, and not a lot of sugar. I feel like I am from another planet since most people eat lots of packaged food. We eat whole wheat bread, whole wheat noodles and brown rice. I have no candy in my house. I feel like my kids get enough everywhere they go, school, church, relatives, friends. We eat treats here at home, yummy, homemade and mostly healthy. 
Lunches and snacks seem to be the biggest challenge. My kids go to school and when they eat lunch, they are the only ones with anything fresh, and the only ones who don't have a bag of candy in their lunch. They don't like being so different and feel so deprived and wonder why I'm such a freak. We've had many discussions about the why but they don't really care, they're kids and they don't care about heart disease. But my kids rarely get sick. I'd like to think it is because of the way we eat. But this recurring fight isn't fun. Why am I fighting? And when I do finally break down and buy something packaged, I still get complaints. Thoughts from readers?  This is mostly for me to get this out. I feel like giving up but I'm too passionate about healthy eating. Do I need to just give more homemade treats so they always feel like they have a treat?

2 comments:

Kara said...

Keep going. Maybe a little surprise from you now and then. I tell my kids that dessert is a treat and it isn't for after after every meal (dinner.) Sometimes I think my kids give away their fresh food. They definitely have fed it to the classroom animals and traded it to some friends (who interestingly enough bring crap instead of real....)

In lunches I do any of these: pb or cheese sandwich, strong cheese, juice box, tuna snack, assortment of fresh fruit, some fresh veg, dried fruit or fruit leather. One a week I buy them a hot lunch and not a whole meal, just one item (it's all junk from restaurants...)

I don't have answer about kids who complain. My children are the cream of the crop in that area. Annoying!

Annie Harman said...

My advice? To tune it out and keep doing what you are doing. I REALLY believe in teaching healthy habits. You are not banning them from anything...you just choose not to provide it very often. But you are right that they get PLENTY at church, school, friends' houses, etc. They will develop a taste for food that is real, unprocessed, and healthy. You are doing the best thing for them!